I was meant to be a teacher

I never knew that I would become a teacher. From a young age, I was enlightened with the education profession climate. Politicians that didn't value you, upset parents, community members not respecting your profession, and situations stacked against them.

I was meant to be a teacher.

Sometimes, I would see student's lives change because of my family members influence on them. In a family of educators, you notice these glimmers of transformation. I would see a thank you note on the counter, or a parent would call our land line to speak to my father, telling him how thankful they are.

I was meant to be a teacher.

I went through school myself, seeing every day the work my teachers put in. I would come to school early and stay late. I saw them in their offices, preparing for the next days lessons. I was never a perfect student, always under special watch as an educator's daughter. My teachers were hard on me. Some paid close attention to my progress, and let me know when I needed to pick up slack.

I was meant to be a teacher.

There were some pivotal moments in my younger school years that I remember distinctly. Teachable moments that I now pass onto my students. Some of my teachers made an amazing mark on my heart and mind. Which forced me to think critically about the world.

I was meant to be a teacher.

The first day I walked into our new school, I was fifteen. I remember that being one of the scariest moments of my life. But it was a few teachers that made me feel welcomed when times got tough. I saw the care in their eyes and felt the kindness in their heart.

I was meant to be a teacher.

Today at school there was a new third grade girl, moved in from out of state. In elementary schools, the new kid does not go unnoticed. I introduced myself, and told her I was the new kid in school once, too. I saw the fear in her eyes, and did my best to show her all the support that was given to me at one time.

I was meant to be a teacher.

Now my days are filled with teaching students all the life lessons that my teachers instilled in me. They will not remember the assignments or the grades, they will remember how you made them feel. Soon enough, I hope to be able to make many of my own students feel important and valued.

I was meant to be a teacher.

With very many life changes and adversity, the path here has not been easy. Something that you care about more than anything will never be easy. A twisting and turning journey like a rushing stream, I finally found the mouth of the river. This is where I am meant to be.

I was meant to be a teacher.

Comments

Popular Posts