My Self Love Story

[self - luhv] (noun)regard for one's own well-being and happiness

I would like to say a little disclaimer to this post - self love is usually in regard to women.  However, every human being needs some sort of self love and care. Ridding of negative energies and replacing it with self love positivity will change your whole way of life.

With me preachin' about all of this positivity I would also like to start off with this - I havn't always been a lover of myself. When I was younger, I was conditioned to link narcissism with self love. Where I now know that loving your self and being arrogant are two totally different things. People may not always show on the outside how much negative self talk they engage in on the inside. I remember when I was younger, I was constantly thinking about how my body looked or how much make up it took to cover my face. I have always been a generally happy person, so it's very surprising to me to look back and remember all the negative things I believed about myself. I remember always thinking.. maybe I will love myself once I get through this new diet, when my acne goes away, when I'm tan enough, skinny enough... the thing is, I was and am enoughI struggled with my image mostly in high school, when people didn't approve of me. I took it to heart and waited for the next nasty comment to be fired, and it tore me apart. However, going through all of that taught me that I don't have to give a f**k if people don't like my appearance. Now a days, people will see me in hippy pants and a tank top I've worn for three days and I'll let those comments slide off me like buttah! (vegan butter of course)


Through out my self love journey, I have learned that it takes just a few moments a day to breathe in your awesomeness. Feel your curves, bumps, and bruises. Acknowledge the specific things about yourself you used to hate, and embrace them. Tell yourself you are amazing, inside and out. There are too many oppressed people in this world to abandon your own inner happiness. Now that I am getting a little older (kind of almost an adult), I realize there are many younger people that look up to me for advice or just observe how I live my life. I want that little kindergartener to pick up on how pleased I am with my appearance, even thought it isn't perfect. I want that pupil to someday look in the mirror and fully appreciate and bask in their own being.

It felt like a breath of fresh air when I finally shied away from clouding my mind with worry. I still have a while to go to be completely disconnected with how I look. You will have bad days and good days, some days where you like yourself more than others. There has to be a balance between caring about your body and being obsessed with your appearance. Respecting your body by feeding it the right things and practicing a self care routine will help you feel your best. I encourage you to stay in-tune to your own self talk. If its negative, turn that train around! Treat your body like a temple, and even if you have a long way to go, enjoy where you are at and anticipate the future. Self love must come first, life will fall into place after that. Take a bath, go for a walk, eat that damn cupcake.



If you treat yourself with respect and love, your love will start to radiate to other people. You will become a happier person, which will rub off onto others, which will make this entire earth a happier place. Don't worry, be happy! I appreciate that you took the time to read my blog post. I hope you learn to love yourself a little bit more.

Peace n love,

Carley

“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection”

 – Buddha

Comments

Popular Posts