How I've Learned to Celebrate the Holidays

With Thanksgiving being today... (holy cow wasn't it just the 4th of July??!) I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on how I have learned to interpret and enjoy my Thanksgiving celebrations. This past year or so, I have begun to critically examine the ideals that I grew up on in an uncritical way. Some of you may be educated on what Thanksgiving symbolizes, but if you're not, here a little explanation.

It was 1621, the Pilgrims voyaged across the ocean and landed on Massachusetts. It was thought that the arrival of new immigrants should be celebrated after a long fast on the voyage over the pond. Shortly after that, race began to take over the whole New England region. Specifically, the Masachoosut Wampanoag tribe was white-washed, one school child at a time. After that, the whiteness in the colonies was continued by our founding fathers, but I won't get into that.

Anyway, I'm not going to tell you you shouldn't celebrate Thanksgiving. I am just encouraging you to acknowledge the oppression that people had to go through during the times that we are celebrating the arrival of Pilgrims that ruined a lot of people's lives. With this being said, celebrate spending time with your family. Remember to have empathy for all people on this earth, some are more blessed than others. For the sake of the holidays, put aside out differences. Listen to one another's stories, and respect others opinions. Have compassion, and have a happy holiday.

Comments

Popular Posts