What it's Like to Always Be the Newbie || My Tiny House

As a child, I was a very outgoing, bubbly girl... and I still am... sort of. I was inspired to write this blog post from a little second grader at the school I help out at. I have volunteered there in the physical education department for about a year now, so I know most of the kids. I had never met this young lady before, however. All of her class mates were telling me right off the bat, "Miss Carley!! This is the NEW girl!" As the girl lowered her head in a shy and embarrassed way.. I went over to her and told her I had been the new kid too, at one time. I hope that my short discussion with her made her feel a little more comfortable at a new elementary school.

This the story of a wanderer.

Many of you probably already know my story. But here is a shortened version. I grew up in a small town called Westby, in the southwest part of Wisconsin. My parents transplanted our family to another small town, Cumberland, when I was 15 years old, a sophomore in high school. I finished up my high school career there then moved onto college as any good daughter would do. I initially went to UW-Stevens Point, but after one year, I transferred universities, to UW-Eau Claire. In between I have dabbled in many majors, activities and jobs. But here I am! A senior in college, that has - sort of - made up her mind.. 

Since my life turned out this way, I am used to meeting many new people and have been put into many social situations. As many of you know, I am a pretty outgoing person, however, some of the circumstances I have experienced has developed a slight bout of social anxiety. Yes, I know what you're all thinking.... "the bubbly Carley?
!!" Yes, it's true. With the moving around that I have done in my younger years, it has let me to pre-determine what I think people will think of me, and has ultimately given me some inner anxiety about meeting new people. I convince myself that these people that I will be meeting won't like me or are going to judge me for certain things. I know this seems odd but it's true. Having these sorts of thoughts in my head has lead me to enjoy being alone. I don't want people to think that being an introvert at times is a negative thing! This just means that when I do decide to surround myself with other human beings, I savor it even more. And as for my sub conscious social anxiety, I just have to force myself into uncomfortable situations to work on it. However, working though your own negative thoughts is harder than it seems.

So, continuing on with the whole point of me telling you this, all of these twists and turns have lead me to a nomadic life style. So, I finally decided to purchase a home.. one that in on wheels and very small..OK guys it's a tiny home on wheels. I will write another blog post about the tiny home itself and what it's like living in it, but that won't be until I reside in it for at least six months. (I'm moving in at the end of October!!) Being the newbie for the majority of my life has been a blessing and a curse. It has molded me into the person I am today, and also taught me how to get through some hard times, and I am ultimately grateful for that. Life is never perfect, but if you live it out the way you want to, it will be a pretty enjoyable ride. If you have ever experienced social anxiety or have to be the new kid in school, I feel you! But just remember, these hardships will better you as a human being. I plan on continuing to be the newbie! I now have learned how to revel in an independent environment, and I am proud to say that being the new kid in school taught me how to be on my own. You will never go if you wait for someone to come with you.

Thanks for reading.

Peace n love,

Car

"Travel can be one of the most rewarding forms of introspection." - Lawrence Durrell


Comments

Popular Posts