Five Days of Happy

With being back at school and life being a whirlwind of things to do and places to be, it all can catch up with you. I have noticed in the last week or so that my mood has been all over the place. I have been overwhelmed and quick to get upset. This isn't me. I am usually a very happy, optimistic person. So, over a glass of wine on Saturday night, I decided the next five days would be five days of happy. I will not be quick to anger, I will invest time in myself and what makes ME happy. Hopefully by the end of this week I will be more mindful of what makes me feel optimally happy.

I started this challenge on a Sunday because it is a happy day. I usually spend my Sundays resetting or enjoying it with people I love. What a perfect day to start a challenge. Mondays naturally get me down in the dumps, and I was eager to start.

Sunday was a good day. I slept in, made myself some sweet potato waffles ... that turned into sweet potato pancakes because they stuck to my waffle iron. However, I did not get upset. I did not get discouraged, I just adjusted my path. I went on with my day, had the privilege to see my dog, Rio, again. He is the definition of happy, and he makes me happy too. Then, I rounded up some troops to volunteer at the local Children's Museum. It was so fun to see the young kids go through the relays and games we had set up for them. The pure joy on their faces made me fill with joy as well. 


Day two was a busy one. I had a good Monday, however, for a Monday. Ran a light 2 ish miles with Rio in the morning, had 8am -10am class, went to teach 6th grade health for some experience hours for one of my major classes, lab, work, and finally was home at 8 pm. Whew! (also shout out to Kate for letting my puppy out - he needed it badly) Long day but a good day. Bopping around sometimes makes me happy I have the ability to do so. Learning and teaching and working, all of this requires an open and willing brain, and I am so thankful I have one. I have been trying to get out of the habit of thinking I'm the only "busy" individual in our society. The reality of it is, everyone is busy with something, so you might as well make the most of it.

Day three I attended 6 am yoga... pretty early for me but I really enjoyed it. I think I might get in a habit of going at least two morning a week. I walked my dog with my loved cousin, Jamie, and still made it to class on time! I learned that waking up earlier just makes me so much happier because I am already wide awake at class, I eat a full breakfast and I'm not rushing to get to school. I worked all afternoon, but I learned that working a shift makes me that much happier to go home and see Rio.


Days four and five were filled with school and other obligations I have. I kind of let me tidy room go kaput... Oh well, next week I'll do better. I had the privilege to make dinner and paint with Jamie and Kate, it was very therapeutic.


All in all, we and human beings, don't have a lot of free time. I encourage you to sit down and calculate how much free time you have after factoring in work, school, extra circulars, volunteering, and daily stuff you have to get done around the house. What are you going to invest your spare time in? I acutely analyzed the exact things that brought be joy:

Sun rises after yoga. Rio. Family and Friends. Spending time teaching little minds. And a yummy, home-cooked dinner.

I encourage you to analyze how you are spending your days here inhabiting this earth.  Because when you think about how much time you have here, especially your free time, it doesn't seem like that much time to do what you love. Saturate yourself in endless happiness. Be satisfied with who you are within yourself, and then the true shift in happiness will come.

Peace n love, beautiful humans

Car

"Every new day starts with happiness, is full of joy, and ends with contentment." 

Comments

Popular Posts